General Beau Lee, Ph.D., Georgia’s Official Weather Prognosticator, demonstrated his “tech-savviness” by tweeting his weather prediction online at the popular microblogging service, Twitter. Beau’s pronouncement came at 7:41 am in soggy, 44 degree weather. Beau reported that he did not see his shadow, foretelling an early spring at The Yellow River Game Ranch.
Beau shared the sun-almost-rise with hundreds of bleary-eyed, faithful supporters as he sought his shadow. Had Beau spied his ample shadow, citizens far and wide could have anticipated at least six more weeks of woe-be-gone winter. Since Beau did not see his shadow, onlookers were encouraged to prepare for Spring-like temperatures within the next six weeks… welcome news given the incredibly icy winter that has gripped the nation.
Beau’s Top “Tweeters”:
- @amberantrice: Omg is #beau going to see it???!!?? Ohhh the excitement
- @ThunderPig: Boooo!!!!! RT @GameRanch (General Beauregard Lee) says spring is just around the corner…
- @SandysCountry: @GameRanch so happy for the great news! Thank you, Beau, the very BEST groundhog of them all. Many pretenders, only one Beau!
- @baidenlouie: general beau for president
- @YvetteZamboni: @GameRanch Thank you Beau for an early spring!!!!
- @AnnaSexton: Beau Lee apparently has a 94 percent accuracy rate.
- @Adelphean I love the @gameranch I used to go there as a kid a lot
- @ShelleyBelleGA: @GameRanch Be sure to tell Beau we are looking forward to that early spring! Otherwise, he’s got some ‘splaining to do! 🙂
- @murphypak: @gameranch omg in this storm in NJ Beau just luv u Spring thoughts till I come home Sun. Coming to see u
In the News:
- AJC: Beau fails to see shadow; predicts early spring
- Will Phil & Beau be kind?
- Ga, Penn groundhogs predict early spring
- Gen. Beau Lee set to make groundhog day prediction
- General Beau Lee predicts an early spring for Atlanta
In the Blogosphere:
- Gris & More
- The Shadow Knows
- Frog’s Lilypad
- Photos by Stefan
Did you publish a story about Beau and Groundhog Day at your personal web site? Send us the link and we’ll publish it here! Follow Beau on Twitter at @GameRanch.
Beau has been recognized for his public service to Americans by four Georgia Governors; and has twice been commended for the accuracy of his predictions by The National Weather Service. He has received honorary doctorates from The University of Georgia – “DWP, Doctor of Weather Prognostication” and Georgia State University – “Doctor of Southern Groundology.” He has also earned the very special designation of “Cumulous Barometrist Groundhogolist”– a highly-coveted title among his meteorological peers.
Beau appeared on “The Today Show” with Willard Scott during The Democratic Convention in 1988. He answers his own mail (no form letters) with a complimentary V.I.G. (Very Important Groundhog) Photo on a year-round basis. In 2004, Beau was featured on Animal Planet on Feb. 2nd.
Every year, General Beau Lee, Ph.D. awakens to the ringing of the antique bell outside his “Weathering Heights” mansion, where he lives in touch with the elements year ’round– unlike his pampered counterpart in Pennsylvania who lives in a climate-controlled environment in the town library where he is fed dog food and ice cream. That’s why Beau can claim a 94% accuracy rating while the pampered impostor can only manage 85% (and dropping).
About the Game Ranch
The Yellow River Game Ranch, Georgia’s oldest animal preserve, is now celebrating its 46th year of providing children and adults a ‘nose to nose’ experience with wildlife. The preserve has over six hundred animals and birds. The Game Ranch is open seven days a week except for certain holidays, 9:30 am to 6:00 pm, with the last ticket sold at 5 pm.
The Yellow River Game Ranch is located at 4525 Highway 78, Lilburn Georgia. For further information, call 770-972-6643 or visit our web site!